Gallery

Friday, March 30, 2012

On reflection...

I've had a good two weeks shooting various birds on the Dorset Stour, resulting in some pleasing images - especially those of herons and egrets - but today I feel I should point my lens at something different. However, I still have birds on the brain and ride to a local duck pond to shoot its inhabitants.

It's quite a sparsely populated habitat, but I know what I will find there, and spend an hour or so taking photographs of whatever floats into range - in this case a Tufted Duck - using reflected foliage to add colour. I select this particular shot for the quality of the reflection.

Happy that I won't get anything better, I pay a swift visit to a local nature reserve (and drawing a total blank), I can't resist paying another visit to the same location on the river that has given me so much recent success for a spot of fishing action (birds, not anglers - it is closed season for the latter). There is just a lone egret there, and that flies off shortly after my arrival, so I'm left with an obstreperous Black-headed gull, who, despite the fact there is room for all, refuses to allow any of its species to settle on the line of rocks across the river. After a while it goes home, as do I.


300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR Nikkor with TC-14EII converter. 1/800 second at f/4.5.  - 1 stop EV compensation. ISO 200. Monopod


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

What a beautiful little thing!

A wonderful photo, as ever. AND you gave me a word I had to look up. I like that.

:-) P

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Pixie. It is always a pleasure to hear from you. I like that. ;-)