Gallery

Monday, February 06, 2012

Bolts, limpets and barnacles...

Today, I'm on foot. It's been quite a while since I've set out to take photos without some form of transport, but I decided I wanted a more relaxed approach to photography for the day. Even the comparative freedom afforded by a bike can sometimes curb a spontaneous approach; often missing potential subjects as I ride on my merry way.

The weather has broken here, and freezing conditions make way for overcast skies, little wind and relatively mild temperatures: ideal for an amble along the surf line of a local beach. As the tide retreats I'm constantly on the search for objects exposed by, or affected by, the retreating waves. I shoot numerous photos of shells and isolated stones on the smooth wet sand, but it's details on the wooden groynes that produce today's image, with this small gathering of limpets and barnacles, clustered around a bolt holding the greenheart timbers together. Interestingly, a few of the limpets have barnacles!


50mm f/1.8D Nikkor. 1/60 second at f/8. + 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: