Gallery

Friday, February 03, 2012

End to end...

Another crisp winter's day on Dorset's coast, and if anything, colder than yesterday. This is borne out by looking at the Met Office's weather chart (minus 1ºC, they claim), and the fact that there is a greater portion of frozen harbour than yesterday when I return to Christchurch during early afternoon.

Although colder than yesterday, there is little or no wind, so it feels much more comfortable to be out with a camera in the depths of winter. I shoot a number of frozen waters-edge images before moving on to the animal life - of which there is very little, today - and the boats, of which the same can be said. The light, however, is very appealing.

I decide to call time and begin to make my way home, but instead, like a dog I read about, kept going, along the seafront until I reached the entrance to Poole harbour at the other end of Poole Bay. I arrive just in time to witness the Brittany Ferries' Cotentin leaving port, seen here shortly after it had left the harbour. Not a particularly momentous event - it does this every day - but again I'm attracted to the light, and the contrasting size and design of the vessels in the image.


Top: 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/160 second at f/8. - 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 200. Polariser
Below: 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/6.3. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: