Gallery

Thursday, February 02, 2012

Ice and sand ripples...


Not content with this morning's cold start I venture out again in the afternoon as temperatures soar to 1º C and head for the southern shore of Christchurch harbour. Upon arrival I'm mildly surprised to find that the water's edge has frozen (left). This, no doubt, is due to the fact that two rivers empty into the harbour: the Avon and the Stour, contributing to the low salt content despite the fact that it is tidal. Christchurch Priory can be seen perched on the horizon.


Following this I wander on to nearby
Mudeford Spit (pronounced Muddy-ford) to photograph the
windswept beach. I'm looking for shape and texture here, and I find it in abundance. One advantage of such a cold day, despite all the sunshine, is the fact that the area is deserted, and the wind-formed patterns have not been disturbed by others. The low afternoon light throws the ripples into relief, and I have already decided to produce monochrome images from the results.

Both images: 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor
Top: 1/500 second at f/11. ISO 400
Right: 1/2650 second at f/11. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012






No comments: