Gallery

Friday, February 17, 2012

The nifty fifty...

Today I'm travelling light. Two lenses: a 50mm and a fisheye - both prime lenses - both small and fast.

However, I'm prowling the seafront of Poole bay with little in mind to shoot (not always the best approach), and with that mindset I am seeing very little. I take a series of photographs with the same theme as yesterday: weathering and decay, but to be brutally honest, I have a boat load of similar images taken over the years that will never see the light of day. In short, I'm bored

During times like these, if nature is not going to do it, it's up to me to inspire myself. I try to do this by using the fisheye lens on Boscombe pier, hoping to get something graphic and interesting, but with dull skies and flat light it is just not coming together.

The pier is about to close, and I call it a day, but as I am leaving I pass a family hurling chips (French fries) to a flock of black headed gulls. I quickly switch back to the 50mm lens and fire the shutter each time the viewfinder fills with a sufficient number of gulls (all guesswork).

But almost as soon as it starts, it's all over. The food runs out and the gulls fly off. This above image is the last shot of the day.


50mm f/1.8 AF Nikkor. 1/400 second at f/5.6. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400

© 2012

No comments: