Gallery

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Optimists...

Spring is definitely in the air: the weather proves it. For the rest of the week (at least) I am due mild weather, albeit with rain by the weekend - but at least it's not cold - and daylight hours are increasing noticeably.

After attending to some late morning business I spend the afternoon strolling along the seafront of Poole bay with a camera, enjoying the light and the calm conditions - photographing this and that and nothing in particular.

In fact, I have several hard drives already bursting at the seams with images I am getting, and I'm beginning to ask myself just why I'm spending my time shooting where I am when nature is beginning to awake elsewhere... and I'm not there to capture it. But it is as I approach Boscombe pier that I catch sight of two sporting optimists - the wind surfer and the fisherman (he's there: just look for him, but why he is on the pier 42 minutes after closing time is a mystery).

All things equal, the fisherman stands a chance of catching something, but the lone water sports enthusiast has little chance as there is no wind. Instead he slowly drifts to and fro while I photograph his progress. Granted, it is easier to shoot such a sport at such a slow pace, but it doesn't produce very dynamic images.

He looks nice against the sunset, though.


24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/200 second at f/11. + 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 400


© 2012

No comments: