Gallery

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pay day...

Today couldn't be any more different from yesterday's dark skies and rain. It is, without fear of contradiction, a fine and sunny Spring day, with crocuses blooming in a local park and temperatures of 16ºC.

Persistence also pays off handsomely, after two weeks of returning to the same location in search of a good sunset photograph at low tide. Low water is due late in the afternoon, and I walk west along the shoreline of Poole bay, Dorset, for a mile or so, snapping waves and cloud patterns, with the intention of timing my arrival at a favourite spot to coincide with the event.

It's a spring tide, the lowest of the month, and the required tide pools and expanses of flat, wet sand are all in place at the location I want to shoot at; but the sky isn't. Well, it's where it should be - up above - but not interesting.

I decide to stick it out and hope nature delivers before the tide turns and I'm forced to retreat; and it does - in spades. I make a good number of images as the sun drops below the cloud bank to produce a dramatic sky that reflects superbly in my chosen pool. Perfection.


12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor. 1/500 second at f/11. - 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 200


© 2012

3 comments:

Nic said...

Your photograph is, indeed, perfection.

dusty said...

Stunning.

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Pixie and Dusty. I am rather pleased with this one, myself. :-) Your comments are most welcome.