Gallery

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Slow down, and be considerate...

Thank goodness all that cold weather has gone - at least for the time being - as it makes dawn shoots much more tolerable. In contrast to temperatures of the past two weeks or so, it's a rather heady 4ºC as I set out in the semi-darkness, heading for the beach.

I'm still able to photograph a sunrise over water at this time of year, but ten days from now there will be no point on Poole bay, Dorset, that I will be able to do so until the autumn (18th October, to be precise), as the event will be obscured by the Isle of Wight. Spring marches on.

I didn't bother to check relevant tables before leaving the house (it was not important for what I had in mind) but the unexpected bonanza of an ebbing tide and a flat calm upon my arrival at the seaside was most welcome. I've recently taken to shooting from a monopod again with all lenses, as it allows me to use small apertures for greater depth of field without bumping the ISO too high in low light situations. Apart from the quality aspect, it tends to slow me down and produce a more considered approach to composition.


24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor. 1/60 second at f/8. ISO 400.


© 2012

No comments: