Gallery

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Fetch...

It's the sort of day that most people hate: not particularly warm, windy and raining - not what you might call outdoor weather - unless you are a photographer.

The tide predictions for this week indicate low water towards late afternoon, and I decide to be there with my camera in search of large expanses of pristine wet sand, and possibly dramatic cloud formations reflected in tide pools. Except it is raining. And the cloud covers the entire sky.

But I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm on the beach roughly half an hour before low tide, and as far as I can see in either direction, I'm the only one there. I trudge into the wind and steady rain until I reach Boscombe pier, where I take a number of photographs of wooden groyne posts set against a stormy sky.

All standard stuff,  but it's the sudden appearance of another brave soul willing to brave the murky afternoon and exercise their dog that raises my hopes for something interesting. Repeatedly, the owner flings a ball and the pooch willingly gives chase, while I attempt to compose through a wet and misty viewfinder. After 25 shots I get the image I'm after.


24-70mm f/2.8G AF-S Nikkor. 1/125 second at f/8. + 0.67 EV compensation. ISO 800


© 2012

No comments: