Gallery

Monday, February 27, 2012

Small details and roses...

No exceptionally low tides or spectacular light today, but it is calm and mild, so I spend a quiet couple of hours strolling along the beach looking for shapes and textures to photograph. I'm primarily using a macro lens - useful for picking out small detail such as stones, seaweed and even feathers - left high and dry on a falling tide, but the last thing I expected to find was flowers.

Roses, to be specific; in fact there were several strewn across the sand near Boscombe pier, Dorset. My first thought was they had been used as a prop for a wedding shoot on the beach - something that is becoming increasingly fashionable in this country - and then abandoned once they had served their purpose, but it seems unlikely. After all, those thorns (they were all still attached) are not something a new bride would want to contend with whilst being photographed for posterity, and roses don't strike me as the type of flower that is traditionally used in bouquets for brides. Maybe I'm missing something.

Frankly, I am at a loss, but it seems a great shame for anyone to just dump perfectly good flowers on the sea shore.


My friend Nic, having seen the photograph, sent me the last verse of Fare Thee Well, by Aulis Sallinen (a song about leaving a love behind and going out to sea).  It is a song from his collection of  "Songs from the Sea". We feel it fits the image very well:

If I should die,
A little flow'r plant in memory.
Oh tend it well, my darling,
And when it blooms in the summer think of me
And cast a blossom upon the sea.


12-24mm f/4G AF-S Nikkor. 1/800 second at f/4. - 0.33 EV compensation. ISO 500


© 2012

2 comments:

Nic said...

Well, I don't know why they have done it either, but it is possibly one of the most beautiful photographs I have ever seen.

I could babble on about why, but I shan't. It just is.

:-) P

Richard Brewer said...

Thank you, Pixie. The truth is, I very nearly didn't take the shot as I had the wrong lens on the camera at the time. I'm wary about changing lenses on beaches for obvious reasons: sand in the works, but I'm glad I did.